Homily Ash Wednesday - February 14, 2024

 Today's readings can be found here.

            What are you giving up for Lent?  This was a question that came up every year as Lent approached when I was a kid.  We’d talk about whatever we planned to give up that year.  It was usually food related, like sweets or junk food.  As an adult, it might have to do with less TV or electronics time.  I recall one year giving up social media for Lent.  But for a long time I never thought about WHY I was giving something up.  It was just something you did for Lent.

            What is the purpose of Lent?  Our first reading tells us that we need to return to the Lord and ask for God’s mercy.  Paul implores us on behalf of Christ to be reconciled to God.  Lent is a time for us to repent, draw closer to God, and prepare ourselves to celebrate the joy of Easter.  Our readings are clear on how to prepare ourselves: through fasting, prayer, and almsgiving.

            We may wonder why we need to be reconciled to God.  We attend Mass regularly, we go to confession, we pray daily.  God is a part of our lives.  However, Lent is an opportunity to deepen our relationship with Jesus.  To be better disciples.  Fasting, prayer, and almsgiving can deepen our spirituality and can remind us to put others first in our lives.  Almsgiving is very straightforward.  Taking some of our treasure and giving to those in need is all about serving others.  Praying for others instead of just ourselves allows us to be more like Jesus in loving and serving our neighbors.  But how does fasting help us to serve others?

            One of the reasons we fast is to discipline ourselves.  We use our will to overcome the desires of our bodies.  However, fasting also has a spiritual side to it.  In Scripture, fasting is a way of preparing ourselves for the Lord.  Fasting, combined with prayer, makes us more open to hearing God speak to us.  Jesus fasted forty days after His baptism to listen to the Spirit and prepare for His ministry.  As disciples, we’re called to follow Jesus’ example and serve others.  Jesus fasted to hear the will of God and we should do the same.

            As I’ve grown in my spiritual journey, I’ve stopped thinking about what I’m giving up for Lent.  Instead, I now focus on what I’m going to DO for Lent.  I try to add some spiritual practice to my prayer life.  This year I plan to spend more time in adoration before the Tabernacle.  I try to fast in some way other than just on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  I’ll give alms in some fashion.  Overall, I perform all these spiritual practices quietly, without much change to my normal routine.  Our Gospel tells us that we shouldn’t perform righteous deeds to be seen.  This is a good reminder for Lent and for all that we do.  We should do God’s will quietly, without expecting any recognition.  Lent is a time to return to the Lord, be reconciled, and prepare for the joy of Easter.  We can prepare through fasting, prayer, and almsgiving.  What will we plan to DO this Lent, to serve others and prepare for Jesus at Easter?


Comments

Popular Posts